Edcon (Pty) Ltd is one of the biggest, leading retail industries in South Africa. Since opening its first store in Joubert Street in 1929, Edcon has, through its 3 retail divisions, expanded its footprint to over 1,100 stores across Southern Africa. The Edcon brand can be found in stores such as Edgars, CNA, Boardmans, Red Square and more.
Edcon has been listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) since 1945. Throughout 1966 to 1969, the retail company started trading commences in Swaziland, Lesotho and Botswana. Five years later, it registered its new brand, Jet, followed by its other brand, Red Square, a couple of years later. The company then acquired CNA, Boardsmans, and Bain Capital in the early 2000s. Meanwhile, Edcon’s trading commences kept expanding across Southern Africa throughout the years.
Edcon operates in 3 divisions, including:
- Edgars Division: The leading retailer of clothing, footwear, textiles, cosmetics, accessories and cellular products in Southern Africa, with a wide assortment for everyone including local and international brands, as well as Edgars private label brands.
- Jet Division: Since its establishment in 1976, Jet has pioneered the retail sector as a value fashion retailer that prides itself in selling quality products at the best prices. With a wide assortment of the latest trends in clothing, shoes, accessories, beauty, homeware and cellular products, Jet markets itself as an inspirational brand for the whole family that aims to provide an empowering and approachable store environment to all customers.
- CNA: CNA offers a premium range of stationery, arts and crafts lines, gifting solutions, interesting reads, digital solutions and so much more. CNA prides itself in offering its customers a wide range of products to suit their scholastic (encompassing stationery and education) and home office needs in a friendly service environment with relevant and solution-driven marketing activities.
Work with Edcon
Edcon is a great place to start your career. Edcon offers great competitive salaries, and a wonderful working environment. At Edcon, the goal is to make its customers happy. Edcon is all about customer service, and how it can best serve its customers’ needs and desires.
Edcon has over 14,000 permanent employees and a further 25,000 temporary staff who consider it the best retail company to work for. Edcon’s culture is driven by the following imperatives:
- A constructive leadership style
- An aspiration to remain an Employer of Choice
- A critical focus on attracting and retaining employees from designated groups
- Incentivized customer-focused employees
- A sustainable high performance environment
- An intertwining organizational growth with individual growth
- Life-long learning
The culture of Edcon creates favorable conditions for effective employment equity implementation.
Edcon is committed to attracting the right people for its business. The company offers competitive remuneration packages and recognition schemes to ensure that it makes the right investment in its employee’s career at Edcon. Once on-board, Edcon prides itself in providing its employees with an integrated learning experience to both unleash their full potential and build their capacity to meet current and future business requirements.
These are but a few reasons why Edcon is not only the largest retailer in Southern Africa, but also an Employer of Choice.
To keep thriving in the industry, Edcon seeks people who:
- Are action-oriented, smart, exude dynamism and savvy
- Thrive in a diverse environment and exploit opportunities to grow and develop
- Are passionate about customer service and are resilient in an environment of continuous change
If you have a qualification, or just graduated from school, or just love working in the retails sector, Edcon has something for you. In addition, Edcon has several internship and learnership programs that it offers throughout the year.
Edcon Learnerships were designed to provide young people the opportunity to learn both theoretically and practically in the work field – giving them a chance to experience what it’s like to be part of a workforce in one of the leading companies in South Africa. Edcon Learnerships can also be advantageous for you to adapt in the professional world. Through Edcon Learnerships, you can hone your potential, improve your skills, and broaden your knowledge as well as your network. Within the learnerships, you will not only be introduced to the retail industry and its internal and external people, but there is also a guarantee of employment upon the completion of your course. Edcon Learnerships usually takes up to 18 months to complete.
Currently, there are three learnership programs on offer at Edcon. These are:
- Merchandise Development Program (MDP) – NQF 5
- Retail Operation Development Program (RODP) – NQF 4
- Retail Associate Development Program (RADP) – NQF 3
Edcon will be looking for candidates who not only meet all of the criteria but also who are able to benefit from the learnership program. Those who fulfill all of the following requirements will be considered to join the learnership program at Edcon:
- Be a South African citizen and resident
- Have completed Matric or Grade 12
- Hold a Diploma / Degree in a field of study relevant to the learnership program
- Not currently employed
- Have passion in the retail and fashion industry
- Able to work flexibly – independently and in a team
Specific requirements may apply accordingly to the learnership program you are applying for. Check out the official advertisement for further details.
Applications for Edcon Learnerships can only be done online. Refer to Edcon’s official website to download the application form. Submit the completed application along with the supporting documents mentioned below, via e-mail to email@example.com.
- Certified copy of South African identity document
- Certified copy of Matric or Grade 12 certificate
- Certified copy of Diploma / Degree certificate
- Curriculum Vitae that is up-to-date, and includes valid contact detail
Please note that the copy of documents must be certified by eligible institutions.
Pay attention to the closing date mentioned in the official advertisement. Late applications will not be taken to consideration, and neither will incomplete and/or missing application forms and/or supporting documents. The learnership application closing date is usually around the beginning or end of September each year. The application form will only be available for download once the opportunity is announced.
Edcon Learnerships will not be open for applications all year round. Therefore, make sure you keep yourself informed for updates and announcements regarding the application opening date.
To learn more about Edcon, visit www.edcon.co.za.