Maritime School of Excellence: Unlock Your Maritime Career
Welcome to the Maritime School of Excellence (MSoE), a premier institution dedicated to shaping the future of the maritime industry in South Africa. With a state-of-the-art campus in Durban, MSoE stands as a beacon of excellence in maritime education and training. As an integral part of Transnet and aligned with the International Standards Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping (STCW) requirements, we offer cutting-edge training programs that utilize advanced simulators, including the multi-million rand full-mission Ship Handling Simulator.
The Maritime School of Excellence (MSoE) stands as a leading institution at the forefront of maritime education and training in South Africa. Established as an integral part of Transnet, MSoE operates from its cutting-edge satellite campus in Durban. The institution’s primary objective is to contribute significantly to the growth and development of the maritime industry by providing world-class training programs aligned with international standards.
Mission: To empower and equip individuals with the skills, knowledge, and expertise required to excel in the maritime sector, fostering a workforce that meets and exceeds global standards.
Vision: To be the premier maritime education and training institution, recognized globally for producing highly skilled and competent professionals who drive excellence in the maritime industry.
- State-of-the-Art Simulators: MSoE boasts a multi-million rand full-mission Ship Handling Simulator, a technological marvel that provides learners with a realistic and immersive training experience. Additionally, the institution offers Terminal Operations Simulators, RTG Crane, Ship-to-Shore Container crane, Reach Stacker, Counter Balance, Mobile Harbour Crane, Rail Mounted Gantry, Straddle Carrier, and Truck Handling Simulator. These simulators ensure that learners gain real-time exposure to operating, maneuvering, and familiarizing themselves with various maritime equipment and machinery.
- Training Excellence: The curriculum at MSoE is meticulously designed to meet the International Standards Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping (STCW) requirements. The institution focuses on refining the skills of Marine Pilots and Tug Masters through comprehensive training programs. The commitment to excellence extends to offering refresher training, ensuring that professionals stay abreast of the latest industry standards and best practices.
- Career Opportunities: MSoE not only creates learning opportunities but also opens doors to fulfilling careers within Transnet and the broader maritime industry. The training provided aligns closely with the Market Demand Strategy, contributing to the workforce needed to drive the industry forward.
- Diverse Courses: The institution offers a range of courses catering to different roles within the maritime sector. From Operator: Lifting Equipment (OLE) to Skipper Port Operations (SPO) and Marine Motorman Grade II (MMG), MSoE provides a comprehensive platform for individuals to specialize in their chosen field.
Job Positions/Locations/Ref Numbers:
We are currently seeking enthusiastic and dedicated individuals for various positions critical to the maritime industry:
- Operator: Lifting Equipment (OLE)
- Location: Durban
- Reference Number: MSOE-OLE-2023
- Skipper Port Operations (SPO)
- Location: Durban
- Reference Number: MSOE-SPO-2023
- Marine Motorman Grade II (MMG)
- Location: Durban
- Reference Number: MSOE-MMG-2023
Joining MSoE comes with a myriad of benefits, including:
- Competitive salaries and stipends
- Cutting-edge training using advanced simulators
- Opportunities for career growth and development
- Exposure to real-time terminal operations
- Contribution to the growth of the maritime industry in South Africa
To be eligible for these positions, candidates must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Grade 12 (matric) with Mathematics and Physical Science
- Relevant technical certificates (for specific positions)
- Code 8/EB driver’s license (for OLE position)
- Computer literacy
- Physical fitness and good health
- Willingness to work shifts and in adverse weather conditions
Specific requirements for each position are as follows:
- Operator: Lifting Equipment (OLE):
- Code 8/EB driver’s license valid for at least three years
- Computer literate
- Physical fitness
- Completion of a pre-entry examination and a medical examination, including an assessment of hand-eye coordination, depth perception, and the ability to work at heights
- Technical certificate knowledge (N1-N6) will be an added advantage
- Skipper Port Operations (SPO):
- Pass a pre-entry examination
- Undergo a medical examination
- Marine Motorman Grade II (MMG):
- An EGPR/GPR (general purpose rating)
- Physical fitness
- Completion of a pre-entry examination and a medical examination
Who Can Join the School:
Prospective applicants are encouraged to contact the Maritime School of Excellence’s Learner Administration department to determine eligibility and receive information on available courses and entry requirements.
Minimum Entry Requirements:
Minimum requirements vary for each course but generally include Grade 12 with a Level 4 in the following compulsory subjects: English, Mathematics, and Physical Science.
How to Apply:
Embarking on a career in the maritime industry with the Maritime School of Excellence (MSoE) involves a straightforward application process. Follow these step-by-step instructions to ensure a smooth and successful application:
Step 1: Explore Available Courses
Before initiating the application process, take the time to explore the courses offered by MSoE. Contact the Learner Administration department to obtain a comprehensive brochure detailing the available courses, their descriptions, and the relevant entry requirements. This will help you make an informed decision about which course aligns with your career goals.
Step 2: Check Eligibility
Contact the Maritime School of Excellence’s Learner Administration department to determine whether you meet the eligibility criteria for the course you are interested in. They will guide you on the minimum requirements and help you understand if you qualify to apply.
Step 3: Gather Necessary Documents
Prepare a comprehensive application package. Depending on the course, this may include:
- Application letter: Draft a cover letter expressing your interest in the specific course and explaining why you are a suitable candidate.
- Matric Certificate: Ensure you have a certified copy of your Grade 12 (matric) certificate with passes in compulsory subjects such as English, Mathematics, and Physical Science.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV): Create a professional CV outlining your educational background, relevant skills, and any prior work or training experience.
- Additional Documents: For specific positions, such as Operator: Lifting Equipment (OLE), include any additional certifications or documents required as outlined in the job posting.
Step 4: Use the Careers Tab
Navigate to the Maritime School of Excellence’s official website and locate the “Careers” tab. This is typically the designated section for job and training applications. Click on the tab to access information on current openings and training opportunities.
Step 5: Locate Advertisements
Keep an eye on local and national newspapers for advertisements regarding training opportunities. MSoE may periodically announce when applications are open for specific courses. Once you spot an advertisement, note the application deadline and the specific instructions provided.
Step 6: Submit Application
Prepare a neat and organized application package, including all required documents. Follow the application guidelines outlined in the advertisement. This often involves submitting your application letter, Matric Certificate, CV, and any supporting documentation to the relevant Human Resources manager. Use the designated email address or physical address as specified.
Step 7: Stay Informed
After submitting your application, stay informed about the progress of the application process. MSoE may communicate with you regarding the next steps, such as interviews, pre-entry examinations, or medical examinations. Ensure you respond promptly to any communication to demonstrate your continued interest and commitment.
Step 8: Deadline Compliance
Pay close attention to the closing date for applications. Ensure that your application is submitted well before the deadline, as late applications are typically not considered.
Step 9: Contact for Further Assistance
If you encounter any challenges or have additional questions, do not hesitate to reach out to the Maritime School of Excellence’s Learner Administration department. They can provide guidance, answer queries, and offer assistance throughout the application process.
Step 10: Prepare for Pre-Entry Examinations and Medical Examinations
If your application is successful, be prepared for pre-entry examinations and medical examinations. These assessments are designed to evaluate your suitability for the training program and ensure you meet the necessary health and skill requirements.
The deadline for job applications has not been informed yet.
For inquiries and further information, please contact the Maritime School of Excellence:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +27 11 308 3000
- Address: Girton Road, Inyanda House 2, Parktown
- Official Website: https://www.transnet.net/Divisions/Pages/FreightRail.aspx
Embark on a fulfilling maritime career with the Maritime School of Excellence, where excellence is not just a goal but a way of life. Join us in shaping the future of the maritime industry in South Africa!
To apply for this job please visit www.transnet.net.