Formed in 1995, MultiChoice Group is South Africa’s leading entertainment company that creates and secures the rights to phenomenal content from all over the world. This gets delivered through its MultiChoice’s Direct To Home (DTH), Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) and online video entertainment services.
The company’s entertainment platforms – DStv, GOtv, Showmax and DStv Now – are a hub for approximately 14 million people across 500 countries. Through Irdeto, MultiChoice is a world leader in digital platform security for video entertainment, video games, connected transport and IoT connected industries.
MultiChoice Africa’s legacy is to showcase Africa’s diversity and rich culture through the continent’s deep-rooted storytelling history. The African entertainment industry is at the core of who it is and what it does. MultiChoice Africa recognizes the critical role it can play in building and strengthening the creative industries across Africa – its 17 local M-Net channels are available in a variety of regional languages, telling original African stories.
As a business born and bred in Africa, MultiChoice has a long-term commitment to making a socio-economic difference, playing a key role – alongside government, various stakeholders, businesses and civil society – in growing Africa’s creative industries into vibrant, economic hubs.
To further this investment and ensure a future pipeline of more authentic local stories, MultiChoice Africa announced a new Corporate Social Value (CSV) initiative called the MultiChoice Talent Factory in May 2018 – aimed at developing emerging TV and film talent whilst simultaneously promoting the growth of local content production.
The MultiChoice Talent Factory (MTF) is a shared-value initiative that provides a platform for the creative industries to develop their talent and engage with one another through their shared passions. This initiative will be delivered in 3 phases: a film skills academy called the MultiChoice Talent Factory Academy, a Talent Portal and industry masterclasses.
MultiChoice Talent Factory South Africa
The MultiChoice Talent Factory academies were launched in October 2018. Every year, the academies select 60 talented individuals from across 13 countries to participate in a 12 month academic and practical immersion program including both theory and hands-on experience in cinematography, editing, audio production and storytelling.
The year-long, fully-sponsored program is offered through regional MTF academies in Kenya, Nigeria and Zambia, in partnership with respected local tertiary education institutions. The students get the chance to learn about filmmaking by making films, developing their skills in film and TV production alongside industry greats.
MultiChoice Group is committed to developing and honing the skills of young, talented and ambitious African storytellers. That is why it is with pride that the MultiChoice Group announces that the M-Net Magic in Motion (MiM) program will now be known as the MultiChoice Talent Factory South Africa (MTF ZA) in line with MultiChoice Africa’s broader MTF program.
The MiM Academy was established in 2014 and has been instrumental in helping transform the South African film and TV industry by upgrading students’ skills and empowering them with substantial knowledge and experience in just 12 months. The MultiChoice Talent Factory (MTF), which was launched in 2018 by MultiChoice Africa, does the same by upskilling the next generation of passionate young film creative. To date, 58 students have been trained through MIM and are making their mark in the video entertainment industry.
The MTF ZA program has 3 pillars:
- MTF ZA Academy: One year internship academy for university graduates from qualifying institutions who meet the academic qualifying criteria.
- MTF ZA Scriptwriting Incubator: One year program for budding scriptwriters. This program is not limited to university graduates.
- MTF ZA Bursary Program: Full one year tuition for 2nd year of higher university students from qualifying institutions who meet the academic and the financial need qualifying criteria. Under consideration will also be national Economically Active Populations (EAP) targets.
MultiChoice Internship Program – MTF ZA
Applications to be part of MultiChoice Talent Factory ZA (MTF ZA) Academy class of 2020 are now open and will close on January 29, 2020. MTF ZA is a 12-month long industry readiness program that affords the opportunity to learn from some of the leading TV producers in the country while acquiring valuable experience in the directing, producing, cinematography, commissioning, art direction and many other skills.
The MTF ZA curriculum will provide an end-to-end solution for the entire industry – covering all aspects of the value chain of filmmaking based on the following pillars:
- The Business of Film: To enhance the students’ future and success in either film entrepreneurship or employee in successful film business.
- Film Appreciation: Students will take a journey through the world of film and gain working knowledge of the diverse artistic and practical elements of filmmaking as well as film critique.
- Fundamentals of Production: Students will gain in-depth technical skills in production of high quality content.
- Cross Media / Digital Laboratory: Students will stay ahead of the game with emerging technology and appreciate how to develop content for transmedia and cross platform distribution.
- Experiential Learning / Immersion: Students will receive hands-on practical skills and experience in applying knowledge learned.
- Student Film: The students will deliver two long form films at the end of the course. These films will be broadcast on the DStv platform by the respective M-Net regional channels. Students’ films will also compete in the Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards (AMVCAs) in a student category.
Students will be encouraged to learn more about the trends in and the future of the industry. Sustainability is critical to the MultiChoice Talent Factory curriculum – students will need to understand the role of audience research, copyright issues, intellectual copyright, taxes and the components of an income-generating business.
Through this curriculum, students will be challenged to think ahead, i.e. as they are thinking of the story they want to tell, they will need to think about the channels where it will be featured and what will happen to the content in the next 10 years.
Applying for the MultiChoice Internship Program
In order to be qualified for this MultiChoice internship program, you must:
- Be a South African citizen
- Have completed (in 2018) or completing (in 2019) a 3-year Diploma / Degree in Film and TV or related qualification
- Have achieved a minimum of C+ Aggregate
Start your application for this MultiChoice internship by downloading the application form here. Fill it in and don’t leave any required information blank. Provide all of the supporting documents listed below. E-mail the application form along with the supporting documents directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org by January 29, 2020 at 12 PM. Quote the subject line: MTFza Academy 2020 application.
- Curriculum Vitae, not more than 2 pages
- Personal motivation letter of not more than 500 words, stating why should you be chosen
- Certified copy of South African identity document (ID)
- Certified copy of Matric certificate
- Certified copy of academic transcripts / tertiary qualification certificate
- Confirmation of banking details, verified by bank with bank stamp and/or letter
- Proof of residential address