About Lancet Laboratories
Established almost 60 years ago in the heart of Johannesburg’s central business district, Lancet Laboratories is one of South Africa’s original private pathology laboratories. The lab is one of the leading pathology laboratories operating throughout Africa, providing vital diagnostic and monitoring pathology services in South Africa, Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Committed to providing diagnostic excellence, Lancet Laboratories is SANA accredited, adhering to international criteria set out according to ISO Standard 15189.
Lancet Laboratories operates in the private healthcare environment and offers specialist pathology services for the corporate, insurance and mining sectors. It processes up to 1.8 million tests per month and offer an extensive range of pathology services, from sophisticated molecular and cytogenetic investigations to advanced chemical analysis.
Lancet Laboratories is owned as a traditional medical partnership, where pathologists provide a professional diagnostic pathology service and are also shareholders in the business. More than 80 specialist pathologists, each with their area of expertise, lead the service, not only to ensure the quality and validity of investigations, but also to offer consultative services to physicians, managed healthcare institutions, the occupational health environment and the insurance and industry sectors.
Lancet Laboratories strives to produce quality, accurate and reliable patient results ensuring its customer needs are met. The Quality department at Lancet Laboratories is responsible for ensuring that the Quality Management System (QMS) is implemented and maintained in all laboratories and departments within Lancet Laboratories.
Lancet Laboratories values and respects its customers, making every effort to provide great customer service. The lab achieves this by simply caring about its patients’ health. From its friendly and professional healthcare team, efficient courier network and responsive customer care service, Lancet Laboratories aim to provide a first-class pathology experience.
Working with Lancet Laboratories
Lancet Laboratories recognizes that results are achieved through attracting, developing and retaining the best people. The lab supports the attainment of equal opportunity progress, and believes that people are the spirit to it accomplishing its strategic goals.
The Lancet Laboratories Group offers a varied range of career opportunities within various disciplines, including phlebotomy, biomedical technology, human resources and training, finance and administration, marketing, customer relationship management, procurement, quality assurance and control, and information technology.
Lancet Laboratories Learnerships
Lancet Laboratories remain at the forefront of diagnostic excellence, through offering technical training programs: Among these programs, Lancet Laboratories offers Phlebotomy Learnerships to talented school leavers. This Lancer Laboratories learnership program takes up to 2 years to complete, and is available on offer to 50 unemployed young people with a Matric or Grade 12 qualification.
As a Lancet Laboratories learner in the Phlebotomy Learnership program, you will be placed in Cape Town. You will receive a stipend each month throughout the learnership program. Although so, you are responsible for covering the cost of your own accommodation, meals and transportation.
The key performance areas within the Phlebotomy Learnership program are as follows:
- Ensures that patients / clients from whom a blood or other specimen (e.g. blood fluids, tissue and excretion) is to be taken, are correctly identified and educated about the actual procedure and their rights, in compliance with relevant standard operating procedures.
- Draws blood and collects non-blood specimen from patients / clients at various locations, using the correct and sterile equipment in a manner that will yield the best results.
- Observes the physical condition of patients during blood taking and applies sound first aid practices in order to ensure the safety and comfort of patients / clients.
- Ensures that bio-hazards waste is disposed of in the correct manner to comply with relevant safety protocols and standard operating procedures.
- Keeps records of specimens collected and ensures that all patient details and clinical information is accurately recorded.
- Ensures dispatching of specimens for processing in accordance with prescribed standard operating procedures and monitors progress ad filing of reports, including handling queries and report delivery, in line with prescribed turn around requirements.
- Monitors stock levels of all collection materials, including venesection “bleeding” bags, and orders additional stock to ensure the availability of required materials at all times.
- Implements sound housekeeping procedures and work effectively with others as a member of a team to ensure a safe working environment in accordance with relevant legislation and all safety protocols.
- Represents the organization by applying the principles of customer care in the medical pathology field and interacts professionally and ethically with patients, clients, doctors and other hospital staff.
- Assists pathologists with special procedures when required and in compliance with relevant working instruction and standard operating procedures.
- Receiving cash from patients and ensuring banking of monies in accordance with relevant standard operating procedures.
- Reports incidents, logs customer complaints and problem solution, reads documents and actions tasks on the laboratory information management system in compliance with relevant organizational policy.
Applying for Lancet Laboratories Learnerships
Students who wish to participate in this opportunity must have passed the subjects of Mathematics / Mathematical Literacy, English and Biology / Life Science with a minimum score of symbol D during their Matric. Besides holding the mentioned qualification, students must also possess the following relevant job knowledge:
- Anatomy, physiology and medical terminology relevant to medical pathology
- Laboratory information systems
- Medical ethical guidelines in the medical pathology fields
- Organizational policy procedures
- Phlebotomy procedures and processes
Furthermore, to be eligible to apply for the Lancet Laboratories learnership program, you must meet all of the following minimum requirements:
- Be a South African citizen and resident
- Have completed Matric with Mathematics / Mathematical Literacy, English and Life Science
- Able to read, write and speak in English
- Be a computer literate and able to operate in MS Word and MS Excel
- Own a transport, with a driver’s license, and have accommodation
- Have no criminal record
- Have completed a first aid course and/or a home-based care training course (would be advantageous although not essential)
Once you are certain that you have met all of the above-mentioned criteria, you can start your online application by filling-in the application form and submitting it along with the following supporting documents:
- Identity document and proof of residence
- Curriculum Vitae
- Certified copy of Matric or Grade 12 certificate
- Certificate(s) of first aid training and/or home-based care training course (if applicable)
- Copy of valid driver’s license
- Motivational letter
- Letter of reference
Students with disabilities are very welcome to apply for this opportunity. They must, however, add a valid proof and details of their condition to their application for the learnership program.
Applications to Lancet Laboratories can only be done online through the lab’s Job Board. The application closing date for this Lancet Laboratories learnership program is on December 16, 2019 at 12:00 AM.
Shortlisted applicants will be notified by Lancet Laboratories’ Career Department after the application closing date. If you do not receive any notification regarding your application for the learnership within 2 weeks after the application closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
For further details, visit Lancet Laboratories careers web page.