About Telkom South Africa
Founded in 1991, Telkom is a leading information and communications technology (ICT) services provider in South Africa. Its mission is to seamlessly connect people to a better life. Its Telkom Foundation actively works to bridge the digital divide, with projects including the Connected Schools program, meanwhile FutureMakers, its enterprise and supplier development initiative, empowers digital entrepreneurs to realize their vision.
Telkom serves a large range of business and residential customers, and has all the key components of true convergence, enabling it to offer integrated voice, data, fixed, mobile, IT and data center solutions.
Telkom SA SOC Limited’s organizational structure includes the following business units:
- Telkom Consumer (division): This unit includes both fixed and mobile broadband services as well as voice technology.
- Openserve (division): This unit is at the heart of connectivity and has successfully built and run high-speed broadband networks that link banking systems, hospitals and schools.
- Small and Medium Business (division): This unit focuses on small and medium-sized enterprises within Telkom and includes data and voice connectivity, information technology services and marketing services.
- BCX (owned subsidiary): This is Africa’s premier end-to-end digital solutions partner, and helps enterprises to future-proof their business.
- Yellow Pages (owned subsidiary): This unit delivers commercial search solutions and integrated, effective advertising and marketing, especially for the SME market.
- Gyro (owned subsidiary): This unit is structured to provide 3 business services – masts and towers, property management services and property development. Certain properties and all masts and towers were sold to Gyro Properties and Gyro Masts and Towers respectively.
Telkom Graduate Development
As the leading communications services provider in South Africa, Telkom’s network is the backbone that connects most South African’s daily. From banking to broadcasting systems, Telkom is the brand that has met the connectivity needs of South Africa for the past two decades. But, at the heart of Telkom, lies its passionate and dedicated employees. If you’re looking for a company to take your career to unlimited heights with a drive to succeed, eager to learn and want to be a part of the Telkom Journey, then you’ve come to the right page!
The Telkom’s Graduate Development division sets about creating of a young talent, future skills pipeline. This pipeline is business focused and assists the company in meeting its strategic goals and objectives. As part of Telkom’s broader integrated Talent Management strategy, Telkom’s Graduate Development initiatives are in place to support the company, the country, the ICT industry, and you – the future leaders. Telkom’s Graduate Development initiatives include the following programs:
Telkom Full-Time Bursaries
Telkom supports young talent skills development through its Full-Time Bursary Program. Full-time bursaries are offered for undergraduate studies in identified core fields, namely: Electrical Engineering (light Current), Information Technology / Computer Science, Marketing, and Accounting.
Post-graduate bursaries are offered to candidates who continue their studies and research via the Telkom Centers of Excellence (COE) program. This program is a collaborative program between Telkom, academia, the telecommunications industry, and communication technology and associated sciences. Sixteen Centers of Excellence have been established across the country, making it the largest coordinated research effort in ICT in South Africa. Post-graduate bursaries via the COE program are available in the fields of Engineering (Light Current) and Computer Science.
Telkom Full-Time Bursaries will cover the cost of tuition, accommodation, prescribed books and a living allowance. Upon completion of their studies, bursars will be required to work for Telkom for the duration equal to their bursary.
To be eligible for Telkom Full-Time Bursaries, you must satisfy the following general minimum entry criteria before applying:
- Be a South African citizen
- Provide proof of financial need
- You must have completed Matric
- Studying or intend to study within one of the above-mentioned fields
Telkom Graduate Placements
Telkom continues to show dedicated support toward Government’s drive for job creation and youth employment. On completion of their studies, full-time bursary graduates are appointed to fixed-term contract or permanent positions at Telkom.
Bursars that are appointed on a fixed-term contract are provided exposure to practical training and work experience and are considered for permanent placement as opportunities become available during their 12-month contract period.
As part of their placement, Graduates engage in an extensive induction / orientation program focused on the division, the company and entry into the world of work. Exposure and experience includes on-the-job training, mentorship opportunities, and tackling key business projects.
Telkom Internships and Learnerships
With a view to enabling skills development and aiding in the employability of the South African youth, Telkom provides a number of workplace learning opportunities. Its internship and learnership opportunities are typically 12 months in duration and including theoretical training as well as practical on-the-job work experience.
Some of the programs offered by Telkom include:
- Marketing internships (Young Guns program)
- Products House / Development internships
- Industrial Psychology internships
- Human Resource management internships
Other programs offered by Telkom in partnership with external stakeholders include:
- ICT internships
- Learnerships (Telecommunications, Technical, Call Center)
In order to be eligible for enrolment in a Telkom internship or learnership program, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be a South African citizen
- Have completed Matric and pass Mathematics and Science
- Not currently employed
- Not studying or planning to study during the internship / learnership program
- Have not obtained any post-Matric qualification
- Have not previously participated in an ICT learnership program
- You must be a computer literate, conversant in English, be able to work in teams, and possess problem solving and analytical skills
- Be willing to work in all weather conditions, work outside of regular working hours, as well as work at heights and in small confined spaces
- Be willing to work in all areas where Telkom operates, and to travel to various locations
- Not color blind
Telkom Professional Mentorship
In partnership with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA), Telkom has signed a commitment and undertaking to support the development and ultimate registration of Professional Engineers.
Telkom has an accredited Professional Mentorship for Engineers program which enables registration firstly as a Candidate Engineer and ultimately, on completion of the 36 month program, registration with ECSA as a Professional Engineer. A formalized development track is in place and Candidate Engineers are paired with a dedicated Professional Mentor. Telkom’s Chief Mentor oversees this professional development program.
Vacancies, including learnership and internship opportunities, are advertised on the Telkom’s website. Application therefore must be made online. Visit the Browse Jobs tab regularly as these opportunities are normally advertised as and when they become available. Refer to the Graduate Development web page for more information.